I got this recipe from my mom, who got it from her mom, who got it from a lady whose name I do not know. It doesn’t look like much, but it’s perfect. The icing is poured right onto the cake while hot, resulting in beautiful gooeyness, and an almost fudgey layer on top.
Best of all? It comes together in under an hour.
- Sift together flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Boil water, 2 sticks butter, and 4 tbsp cocoa powder until the butter is melted and the cocoa is dissolved.
- Pour the butter and cocoa mixture over the flour mixture. Mix well. Stir in buttermilk, then eggs, baking soda, and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Pour into a greased and floured 12x9” pan or baking dish. Bake in a 400 ºF preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- For the icing, bring milk along with 1 stick butter and 4 tbsp cocoa powder to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla, and stir.
- When the icing is smooth, pour it directly on top of the warm cake, smoothing with a spatula if necessary to cover the whole cake. Do not remove the cake from the pan. Allow to cool until the icing has solidified.